Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homosexuality

It's the day after Valentine's Day.  I think on this time of expressing love, I want to tackle the topic of homosexuality.  There is a giant rift in our government as of today on whether or not we should allow gay marriage.  Growing up in a very liberal democratic household, I had no question that this was a clear sign of inequality among us as people.  The hard part about this topic is that the fighters of keeping their rights suppressed are the religious right, and their argument is almost strictly religion based.

I wanted to understand this better, so looking into what the bible says, it's very clear its stance on homosexuality from old testament (Leviticus 20:13) to new testament (1Corinthians 6:9).  With that said, it is also clear that the bible states marriage as a union with a man and a woman (Matthew 19:4-6).  I can understand people's opposition to gay marriage for these reasons, but what I don't understand is how they are centrally focused on this issue, rather than the broader idea behind the opposition.  The idea is that a union should not be permitted, because it goes against the word of God.  When you think of it that way, any marriage not done under Christian views should be condemned as well.  A Hindu marriage, a Muslim marriage, a Buddhist marriage, all of these should be condemned, because even though they are a marriage of a man and a woman, they are a marriage that is not sanctified in the eyes of God.

Does God stop these marriages from being done?  No.   No sin is greater than other sins in the eyes of God.  Romans 5:8 shows that even as we are sinners, Christ died for us.  God loves every single one of us, and wants us to love each other.  Judgment will come for each person, but I am not the one to pass that judgment.  No church has to marry anyone that they do not see fit to marry, even if it's a man and a woman.  I would just imagine the pain we would suffer not having the ability to get married, and I wonder if I would want to pass that suffering onto someone else.  Would you?  Would God want you to pass that suffering to someone else?  Someone who may be pure of heart but is just different in their beliefs?

I don't believe homosexuality is a choice.  I know a lot of people who have struggled with homosexuality because of their beliefs.  I don't think they would put themselves through such suffering if it were merely a choice.  I have heard of people who have converted from homosexuality to being straight, and I just feel like they were either bisexual and can make that choice, or they are simply denying themselves what they psychologically desire.

I welcome any thoughts on this topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment